Here you will see students as young as 4 and 5 years old doing algebra and "advanced" math, without ever knowing it's supposed to be hard.
You are invited to learn how to use this method...



Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Want Fries With That?

Once I was doing some demo teaching for an eighth grade class of whiners. They would often interrupt lessons on algebra and factoring with questions like, "when are we ever going to use this?" or "why do we have to learn this?"...etc. Even though they were easily getting it with their base ten blocks.

My answer is the same everytime, "if you are working in fast food, you are right you will never use it but if you are working in engineering or architecture or the sciences you will use algebra just about every day. So I tell you what. Let's practice something else. Repeat after me, 'Would you like fries with that?'"

Stunned silence. From the back of the class, "This guy's harsh."

Later that same year in that same class they gave me a standing ovation...

Learn to use your base ten blocks.

anonymous said:

I make $15 an hour doing work that actually requires my brain, if they raise the minimum wage and I'm quitting and finding a career flipping burgers lol

demonic-lionfish answered:

Working with your hands does not preclude working with your mind.

Take my job for example. You may call what I do “unskilled” or what a line cook does “just flipping burgers”, but that is because of a classist bias against blue collar work. I am a prep cook. Every day I utilize my knowledge of physics to successfully balance and carry multiple dishes and ingredients in my hands, as well as to lift objects that someone of my size should not be able to lift. I use my logical analysis skills to figure out which recipes need to be made first, and even then to further prioritize on a number of criteria, because it is paramount that certain items are ready before open and that all items are made as soon as possible. I use basic division and multiplication to determine ingredient amounts for recipes depending on how many times we need them made, which has been projected given the day and other criteria like weather that affect our guest volume. I will do this math across multiple measuring systems, converting up and down on two different scales depending on how a recipe is written. I use a knowledge cache of cooking techniques, which require studying and practice, to execute dishes to perfection and I must do it perfectly every time, or else it’s waste.

And the line? Try making 30 burgers at the same time. All of these have side dishes that guests pick from a list of five sides. All 30 entrees came to you at the same time. You’re on grill and hot sides, and you have a coworker on pantry and a coworker on hot box that fulfill other sides and entrees that don’t require the flat top, convection stove, or fryer. All of these have to go out around the same time, but you can only make two or three plates at a time tops. This is pretty complex time management man, especially when you factor in the fact that beef is ordered to different taste and you have to keep track of that too.



Judging by this question, you aren’t qualified to “flip burgers”.


No comments:

Post a Comment